Sweet Rhubarb Flatbread
Vegan. Gluten free. Relatively low carb if you omit the raisins.
- 6 liquid ounces rhubarb steamed and sweetened
- 2 liquid ounces water
- 1 teaspoon agar agar
- 5 liquid ounces water
- 3 tablespoons flaxseed ground
- 3 tablespoons chia seed whole
- 3 liquid ounces coconut oil melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 12 tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon stevia powdered
Prepare the Rhubarb Ahead of Time
- Trim, wash and slice rhubarb stalks. Put them in the top of a steamer pot and cook over water for 15 minutes until soft. Remove to a bowl and sweeten to taste. Add cinnamon, allspice, cardamom and ginger to taste. You can make this in quantity and package in 6 ounce portions to keep in the freezer. Thaw when you want to make a batch of these flatcakes.
- Boil some water in the kettle. Measure 3 ounces into a Pyrex measuring cup. Sprinkle the agar agar over the surface and stir well to dissolve.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the chia and flax. Add 5 ounces of water and stir well. Let sit for a few minutes while the water is absorbed. Stir in the rhubarb, coconut oil and vanilla. Mix well. Stir in the agar agar water. until completely blended. Let sit while you prepare the dry ingredients.
- Stir the dry ingredients together. Stir the dry into the wet ingredients until well mixed. Kneading is helpful. If desired, add 1/4 cup organic raisins. Let the dough sit for five minutes.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the over to 350. With clean hands, form the dough into eight equal patties about 4 inches in diameter and less than 1/2 inch thick.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes, then without opening the oven door, reduce the temperature to 300 and bake for another 25 minutes. Turn off the oven and leave them for another 30 minutes.