I can’t help thinking of these adorable birds as clowns. They call out their name, “Killdeer, killdeer,” to get your attention, and then run away, staying just out of reach. They never get so far ahead that you’ll be discouraged from following them, or close enough for you to catch them. And all the while you are being decoyed farther and farther away from the nest, which is somewhere on the stony ground. You’d wonder that any babies ever survive, but they do. On the day of this photo, there were three adult killdeers at the garden.
Subscribe by Email
The notification you receive by email contains the text of the post, but leaves out photos and printable recipes. Be sure to click the link (the title) to go to the website so you can see everything!
- Sharing the Bounty January 5, 2019
- Pumpkin Chutneys January 5, 2019
- Bushfire Salts January 5, 2019
- Fermented Pepper Sauce January 5, 2019
- Sauerkraut January 3, 2019
- Decoration Serendipity December 26, 2018
- Spruce Tip Shortbread December 21, 2018
- Tapestry 3-2 November 26, 2018
- Tapestry 3-1 November 12, 2018
- Tapestry 2-2 October 29, 2018