I can’t help thinking of these adorable birds as clowns. They call out their name, “Killdeer, killdeer,” to get your attention, and then run away, staying just out of reach. They never get so far ahead that you’ll be discouraged from following them, or close enough for you to catch them. And all the while you are being decoyed farther and farther away from the nest, which is somewhere on the stony ground. You’d wonder that any babies ever survive, but they do. On the day of this photo, there were three adult killdeers at the garden.
Subscribe by Email
The notification you receive by email will contain the text of the post, but be sure to click in to the website so you can look at the photos too. It’s much more interesting that way!
- Tapestry 2-1 October 17, 2018
- Sunshine Soup October 12, 2018
- October Tapestry October 2, 2018
- Historic Clayburn Village October 2, 2018
- Wilds for a September Smoothie September 24, 2018
- The Tapestry Begins September 18, 2018
- Parsley Power September 13, 2018
- Purslane and Quinoa September 10, 2018
- Garden Relish September 6, 2018
- Pumpkin Spice Mousse September 3, 2018